Monday, July 30, 2012

The Northern Lights Nail


A few weeks back the Northern lights were visible from where I live. It was a rare occasion and I happened to be awake at the late hour showing.The green was very faint. But that fact I could see anything was amazing. It got me thinking...
I have seen galaxy nail and have done a couple myself, but what about the northern lights? After playing around with different colors,polishes and techniques, I finally settled on a design I like. I might in the future add purple to the base black.
The polishes I used:
Orly in Liquid Vinyl, Shine on Crazy and Swizzle Stick
Sally Hansen in Extreme wear Lime Light
And Finger Paints clear coat
For my base and top coat I used Seche Vite






Start with a basic black. Any will work. Here I used Orly Liquid Vinyl

Then I took the Orly Shine on Crazy and placed it randomly. I did not to a full coat. When looking at the Northern Lights, the stars are very much in the back ground. Sometimes not noticed at all. So, when adding your glitter,less is more.


Then I started taping for the marbling process. To learn How to marble click here for my 2 part video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGmXjBHxyMI&feature=plcp

I used a shot glass for this marbling effect. I really wanted the colors to come thru. But also fade nicely. If the glass is to large, You wont be able to get that effect.
Two drop each color is what I used here.

And then one drop of the clear coat.

Next swirl to resemble the flow of the Northern Lights. It may take a few tries until you get the right design.

Next dip your finger.

After repeating with the rest of the nails, remove the tape and clean the edges with a q-tip and polish remover.

And finish with your favorite top coat.
 
 




See you soon!

Head over to my facebook and Like my page for more nail designs and fun stuff!



4 comments:

  1. This is amazing, such a great technique and layering effect! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some purple would be pretty too. But thank you pretty lady!

      Delete
  2. Nice, could go for galaxy nails too!

    ReplyDelete